skip navigation

Green Beats St. Viator to Advance to State Championship Game

By Jackie Kadin, 03/12/19, 2:45PM CDT


New Trier Green played strong start to finish in beating St. Viator in its semifinal game, spending most of the opening period in St. Viator’s zone. Patrick Chang drew a tripping call putting Green on the power play early in the first, but Green was unable to convert. Gavin Randle made a great defensive play in Green’s zone leading to a 2-on-1 chance for Henry Freedman and Mark Ashmore at the other end of the ice, but Ashmore’s shot was saved. Green killed a penalty before being called for too many men, putting Green on back-to-back penalty kills. Preston Watt made some strong saves, and Mac Zelazny beat two defenders to score a shorthanded goal to put Green up at the end of the first. Brian Dolby opened the second period with a great defensive play to break up a St. Viator 2-on-1 chance. Ashmore had a nice toe drag and was taken down on his way to the net, putting Green back on the power play. Freedman’s shot hit the post, but Ashmore put in the rebound to make it 2-0 (Tyler Baird also with the assist). Green kept the pressure up, with a Baird rocket from the point getting through but being sticked away high by the St. Viator goalie, Jack Norehad making some pretty moves in front of the net before dropping the puck back to Freedman (whose shot was saved), and Dylan Kochman with a nice shot that was also saved. Trent Kadin had a good shot off the goalie’s pad that generated a rebound chance for Chang, and Bobby Soudan had a beautiful drop pass to Dolby, whose shot was glove saved by the St. Viator goalie. Soudan made a great move to the net and went short side putting Green up 3-0 (Ashmore with the assist). Danny Pugliese fired a rocket that was saved, and Chang won a board battle to come out with the puck and get off a shot that was saved. Kadin had a nice shot and then delivered a huge hit in front of the Green bench and student section, drawing cheers from the fired up crowd (thanks to our fans for a strong showing on a Monday night!). St. Viator started to turn the pressure up, but Watt, even without his fan club present, delivered some big saves. Tommy Kempf put in a rebound of a Soudan shot making it 4-0. Kadin was cross-checked, putting Green back on the power play, and Baird made a great defensive play to take away a St. Viator shorthanded chance. Randle was called for what looked like standing too close to a St. Viator player, leading to 4-on-4 play. Magnus Sivertson made a great pass to Norehad, whose shot was saved. After St. Viator’s penalty expired, Spencer Lifvendahl and Baird had nice clears to successfully kill the penalty and take Green into the third with a 4-0 lead. Despite the lead, Green didn’t let up. A John Kane shot went wide, and the 6’2” Baird was hit in the head from a (very) high St. Viator elbow behind the Green net, giving Green another power play. Kane shot wide before a Green penalty led to 4-on-4 play for 40 seconds. Norehad beat a couple defenders in front of the Green net to get the puck to Kane, whose shot went wide. Watt continued to make strong saves on the other end of the ice and the Green penalty was killed. Another Green penalty led to a St. Viator goal and a 4-1 score with 8:45 left in the game. Michael Brunso and Ryan Gallagher had a good 2-on-1 chance that was broken up. Lifvendahl drew a roughing penalty with 2:17 left, and the power play delivered with Gallagher skating in behind Soudan and scoring a goal to make it 5-1. St. Viator showed some frustration with a late slashing penalty and punches thrown near the end of the game. Green wasn’t fazed and emerged with a 5-1 win and a trip to the United Center for the State Championship Game. Come out to support New Trier Green vs. Loyola on Friday, March 22 at 7:30 pm, following the New Trier Girls in their championship game against Fenwick at 4 pm. Go Trevians!