skip navigation

New Trier Green Beats Benet and Hawks in Weekend Play

By Jackie Kadin, 09/17/19, 12:15AM CDT


New Trier Green Defeated Benet and the Hawks in back-to-back games over the weekend. In NTG’s second meeting of the season against Benet, on a first period power play, Charlie Acri found Ryan O’Rourke who buried the puck to give NTG a 1-0 lead (Brian Dolby also with an assist). Dolby was called for interference a minute later putting NTG on the penalty kill. Spencer Lifvendahl had a big hit at the blue line before a Benet penalty led to 4-on-4 play for 59 seconds, and then Dolby broke his stick on a one-timer attempt as NTG’s power play expired. Tyler Nolan had a great keep at the blue line and got the puck to John Kane for a shot that was saved. Kane later made a great pass to Graeme Paul whose one-timer was saved. The Benet goalie continued to get a workout, with a save on a Magnus Sivertson shot and rebound. Kalev McCarthy had a great backcheck to take away a Benet chance, and at the other end of the nice, Kane, Charlie Ware, and Colin Kuker had a chance on an odd man rush, but the Benet goalie made yet another save. Paul went to the box with 3:10 left in the first, with Nolan following at 1:51, putting NTG on a 5-on-3 penalty kill at the end of the first. Sivertson stole the puck and gave himself a great shorthanded chance before the period expired. A Benet double minor put NTG on the power play early in the second but despite several good chances, NTG was unable to convert. Trent Kadin was sent to the box for inquiring why a Benet penalty was not called and another penalty put NTG back on a 5-on-3 penalty kill, but strong goaltending by Max Lee kept Benet off the board. Ware was assessed a 5-minute major, and not only did NTG successfully kill the penalty, both Johnny Hackett and Kane had good breakaway shorthanded chances that were saved. Strong defensive play by Simon Chong and Danny Pugliese helped preserve Lee’s shutout. McCarthy fired a rocket from the blue line and Kuker knocked in the rebound to give NTG a 2-0 lead at the end of 2. Hackett took it hard to the net early in the third and was awarded a penalty shot when a Benet defenseman covered the puck with his hand in the crease, but his attempt was unsuccessful. Danny Budington scored a goal off a NTG faceoff win by Acri to make it 3-0 early in the third. The third period was sloppy and chippy, with both teams penalized 30 cumulative penalty minutes, but there would be no additional scoring and the game would end with a 3-0 NTG win.

Coming off their shutout win, NTG defeated the Hawks 6-3 the next day. Paul got NTG on the board first, knocking in a rebound of a Pugliese shot from the point. O’Rourke made it a 2-0 game with an assist from Acri at the end of the first. The Hawks had too many chances in the NTG zone and were able to take advantage and cut the lead to 1 at 12:55 in the second. Sivertson was called for a slash, putting NTG on the penalty kill. Kadin had a great takeaway at the blue line but was taken down on his way to the net for a breakaway shorthanded chance. Despite the strong suggestions from the crowd for a penalty shot, there was no call and the Hawks scored on other end to tie the game at 2 apiece after 2 periods of play. Early in the third, Kuker found Dolby who buried the puck to give NTG a 3-2 lead. The Hawks would tie it up on a power play, but Paul gave NTG the lead for good with 7:04 left in the game (Ryan Gallagher and Kuker with the assists). O’Rourke added an insurance goal (Acri with the assist) and an empty netter by Gallagher sealed NTG’s 6-3 win.