skip navigation

Green Falls to Stevenson 4-3

By jackie Kadin, 11/20/19, 2:45PM CST


The unseasonable cold and snow did not stop 107 hearty fans from coming out to watch New Trier Green take on Stevenson in a “home” game in Buffalo Grove. Unfortunately, Green would give up 3 unanswered goals in the third period to fall to Stevenson 4-3 and suffer its first league loss. Brian Dolby had previously shown off his dance moves to Poison, and he debuted his equally impressive air guitar to the riffs of Highway to Hell as Green took the ice. A Stevenson roughing call put Green on an early power play, but they were unable to convert. A Green turnover led to a Stevenson breakaway, but Preston Watt came way out to play the puck and save a Stevenson chance. “Paul Graeme,” aka the kid with 2 first names, got Green on the board first with an unassisted goal. Stevenson kept up the pressure, but the Green defense responded with Charlie Acri taking a turn at playing goalie and sweeping the puck out of the paint during a scrum, and Charlie Ware blocking a shot and then hustling back to the other end to prevent icing. Another Stevenson penalty put Green back on the power play, but they were unable to convert, and a Stevenson chance as the power play expired led to another great save by Watt. Stevenson was called for hooking toward the end of the first, putting Green on its third power play. Watt was called for goalie interference, leading to 4-on-4 hockey for 52 seconds. Both penalties expired, but Green went back on the power play in the final seconds of the first and beginning of the second. During a delayed penalty for cross-checking by Stevenson, Dolby fired the puck in from the point to give Green a 2-0 lead (Magnus Sivertson with the assist). A Stevenson player slipped in front of Tyler Nolan and Nolan was called for interference to appease about 80 of the 107 fans. A Stevenson power play goal cut Green’s lead to 1. Watt made another strong save on a Stevenson breakaway. John Babnik had a great point blank chance, but the Stevenson goalie made a good pad save and pushed the puck away to prevent a rebound. Trent Kadin found Mac Zelazny in front of the net whose shot was saved, but Ware knocked in the rebound to give Green a 3-1 lead with 2:25 left in the second. Back-to-back Green penalties by John Kane and Dolby gave Stevenson a 5-on-3 for the final 13 seconds of the second and opening minute of the third. Sivertson was called for slashing in the opening seconds of the third putting 3 Green players in the sin bin (we’re going to need a bigger box). Stevenson capitalized with a goal with 4 seconds left in their 5-on-3 power play, cutting Green’s lead to 1. Green killed the remaining penalties, but Stevenson tied the game with 13:33 left in the third. Stevenson was called for slashing, putting Green back on the power play with 5:11 left in the game, but the power play expired and Stevenson got a breakaway on other end to take a 4-3 lead and ultimate win.