skip navigation

New Trier Green Sweeps Stevenson in Weekend Series

By Jackie Kadin, 01/13/20, 8:30PM CST


On a snowy night in October, New Trier Green suffered its only state loss at the hands of Stevenson. On a snowy night in January, Green avenged its loss while also spoiling Stevenson’s senior night with a lopsided 9-0 win. Green’s offense came out strong. Tyler Nolan delivered a great pass to a charging Ryan Gallagher but his shot went high. Graeme Paul had a good look at an open net but the Stevenson goalie somehow got back to save his shot. Magnus Sivertson got Green on the board early in the first with a blast from the point off the post (Johnny Hackett and Colin Kuker with the assists). Preston Watt made a save on a point blank shot, and Nolan had a big hit in front of the net, which apparently is also known as roughing. Danny Pugliese had a good block on the ensuing penalty kill, and Simon Chong found Colin Kuker in front of the net with a beautiful pass after the penalty expired to make it 2-0. Sivertson scored his second goal of the game when he again found the back of the net from the point (Pugliese and Hackett with the assists). Watt saved a breakaway shot, and Trent Kadin was hit in the head (good thing his helmet was on) drawing a head contact call and putting Green on a power play. Unfortunately, Green couldn’t convert and the first period ended with Green up 3-0. Green had a 5-on-3 power play for 1:30 early in the second, and Ryan O’Rourke had a great chance in front of the net before getting his own rebound to Brian Dolby in the slot who made it 4-0 as the first penalty expired. Kuker scored on a rebound of a Dolby shot, and Charlie Acri found Danny Budington to make it 6-0. A Kalev McCarthy shot was almost tipped in by Spencer Lifvendahl. John Kane went to the box and Paul scored shorthanded to make it 7-0 (Pugliese with the assist). Kadin’s shorthanded chance on the same penalty kill was saved. Green killed two 3-on-5 penalties before Gallagher scored a power play goal on a great pass from Mac Zelazny to make it 8-0. O’Rourke scored in the third period, making it a 9-0 final (Acri and Pugliese with assists). 

The second game of the series was Green’s Senior Night. Following the announcements of seniors Dolby, Gallagher, Kadin, Kane, Kuker, Lee, Lifvendahl, Pugliese, Sivertson, Charlie Ware, and Mac Zelazny by Frank Zawrazky, and the singing of the national anthem by Ericka Pugliese, Stevenson came out firing. Stevenson got on the board first late in the first period. Great defense by O’Rourke to prevent a rebound after Max Lee made the initial save kept it a 1-0 game. Zelazny and Kadin had a 2-on-1 chance but the Stevenson goalie made a good save. Stevenson went up 2-0 early in second. Hackett had a nice steal but his shot was saved. Dolby found Budington who put the puck in the back of the net to make it a one-goal game (Kane also with an assist) and Pugliese tied it up with a power play goal. Kadin had a great individual effort early in the third period, but his shot was saved. Lifvendahl drew a tripping call, and on the ensuing power play got the puck to Zelazny who put the puck in off his backhand for the go-ahead goal. Green killed two 3-on-5 penalties with great defensive play by the penalty kill units and strong play in the paint by Lee to preserve its 3-2 Senior Night win.