skip navigation

Green Beats Deerfield to Advance in State Tournament

By Jackie Kadin, 03/02/20, 4:00PM CST


In its first State game, New Trier Green eked by a hungry Deerfield team in a 4-2 nail biter to advance to the next round of the State tournament. Colin Kuker delivered a beautiful pass to Graeme Paul for a good chance that was saved. Max Lee made a great save on a point blank shot. John Kane was slashed on his way to the net and was awarded a penalty shot; Kane delivered going 5-hole to give Green a 1-0 lead with 11:25 left in the first. Kuker skated the puck in but his shot hit the post. Tyler Nolan had a nice breakout pass to John Babnik, but his shot went wide. Sloppy Green play allowed Deerfield to tie the game with 7:02 left in the first. Danny Budington chipped the puck out to Charlie Ware, but Deerfield broke up the play. Ryan O’Rourke had a nice takeaway in front of the net, but his backhand shot was saved. Charlie Acri fed Babnik in front of the net, but his shot drew iron. Kalev McCarthy played good defense in front of the Green net to break up a Deerfield chance. Trent Kadin chipped the puck out to Johnny Hackett who skated it in for a point blank shot that was saved at the end of the first. Green came out with a little more urgency in the second period and had a few early chances. Mac Zelazny’s shot hit the side of net. Budington played cherry picker and got a beautiful stretch pass that give him a breakaway chance, but his shot was saved. Magnus Sivertson’s shot from the point (as well as a Babnik rebound chance) were also saved. A Green turnover led to a Deerfield breakaway chance, but tight defense by Brian Dolby and another good Lee save kept it a tied game. Kadin was called for hooking but Green had a great penalty kill, with clears by Budington, Nolan and Danny Pugliese as karma prevailed for a weak call. Kane put in a backhand rebound of a Simon Chong shot to send Green into the locker room with a 2-1 lead. Green started off the third period strong, with Zelazny getting off a shot that was sticked away high. Zelazny also had a good rebound chance on a Kadin shot. Dolby fed Ware for a great chance that was saved, and the Deerfield goalie also saved a good Chong shot. A Green turnover in the defensive zone allowed Deerfield to tie the game with 12:50 left in the game. A goal by Babnik off a pass from Acri from down low seemed to give Green the lead back, but the goal was disallowed because the net was off (which seems to happen a lot against Green). McCarthy had a great shot from an Acri pass that was saved. Kadin drew a hooking penalty, putting Green on its first power play of the game, and Zelazny delivered, rebounding an Acri shot to make it 3-2 with 6:27 left. Kane was called for tripping, putting Green on the penalty kill, and a Deerfield penalty for too many men led to 4-on-4 play for 20 seconds. The penalty was killed and Green ended the game on a power play. Sivertson got the puck out of the zone and Ryan Gallagher found the empty net with 4 seconds left to give Green a 4-2 win.

Next up: State quarterfinals against a hot St. Ignatius team on Wednesday night at 8:35 pm at the Edge.