skip navigation

Green Advances to State Semifinals with Convincing Win Over St. Ignatius

By Jackie Kadin, 03/08/20, 12:15AM CST


New Trier Green bounced back to form as they beat St. Ignatius 5-0 to advance to the State semifinals. Green started off fast with several good early opportunities. Trent Kadin chipped the puck into the offensive zone to Danny Budington whose shot was saved. Graeme Paul found Ryan Gallagher charging to the net, but his backhand shot saved. A Green turnover led to a good St. Ignatius chance but Preston Watt made a great point blank save. Kadin showed speed as he flew into the offensive zone and passed the puck to Johnny Hackett, whose backhander was saved. Kadin got Green on the board at 13:47 in the first off a beautiful pass from Mac Zelazny. On the other end of the ice, Watt made another strong save and Magnus Sivertson a great defensive play to keep it a 1-0 game. A Kadin block in the defensive zone led to a Hackett and Zelazny 2-on-1 the other way but Zelazny’s shot was just high. Brian Dolby took to the ice cranking it to Soulja Boy and showed off his inner Superman as as nice stickwork broke up a St. Ignatius play. Simon Chong also had a good block to take away a St. Ignatius chance late in the first, keeping it 1-0 after one period of play. At the start of the second, Danny Pugliese had a good block and Green did a great job keeping the puck in the offensive zone, leading to a beautiful pass from Colin Kuker to Dolby, who buried the puck to make it 2-0 at 14:25 in the second. A big hit by Paul led to a Gallagher chance that was saved. Gallagher went to the box on a dubious interference call putting Green on its first penalty kill of the game. Zelazny had a nice takeaway for a shorthanded chance, but he was taken down on his way to the net leading to 4-on-4 hockey for 1:20. A Kalev McCarthy shot was tipped by John Babnik, making it a 3-0 game (Sivertson also with an assist). After the expiration of the penalty, Green went on the power play and capitalized with a beautiful goal by Charlie Ware in the slot as he was falling down (Ryan O’Rourke with the assist) to make it 4-0. Zelazny found Kuker for a point blank chance that was saved. A Budington steal led to a Gallagher chance, but his shot was saved. John Kane delivered a nice pass to Brian Dolby, but the St. Ignatius goalie made another good save, and he continued to help his own cause with a poke check of a Charlie Acri shot. Green ended the second and started the third on a penalty kill when Kane was called for knee-to-knee contact, but killed the penalty. Green kept up offensive pressure as an O’Rourke turnaround chance in front of the net was saved. Gallagher one-timed a pass from Budington, but his shot was saved, and shots by Pugliese and Tyler Nolan were blocked. Sivertson went to the box for hooking, and St. Ignatius pulled its goalie for 6 attackers on its power play. Chong sank the empty netter and basked in the adulation of the New Trier student section as Green went on to win 5-0.

Next up: The Final Four! (Used with(out) the express written permission of the NCAA). Come cheer Green on as they take on Barrington on Sunday, March 15 at 7 pm at the Edge.