skip navigation

NT GREEN wins Cornfield Cup

By NTG, 12/15/14, 9:00PM CST


Matt Kenyon scores the winning goal with 18 seconds to play in Championship game

Two Illinois teams played for The Culver Military Academy’s Annual Cornfield Cup,  New Trier Green and Glenbrook North.  In an epic game, New Trier Green defeated Glenbrook North by the score of 5-4.

The 8 team field included Shattuck Saint Mary’s, St. Ignatius of Ohio, Carmel of Indiana, host Culver Academy, Gilmore Academy and Walsh Jesuit of Ohio.

New Trier arrived at the Champions by defeating Gilmore, Walsh and Culver. While Glenbrook North defeated Shattuck, St. Ignatius and Carmel.

In the Championship game, New Trier scored two  1st period goals. Brent Segvich put in a rebound goal at the 13 minute mark  and Cooper Johnson scored from the left point on a power play to close the scoring in the 1st.

GBN cut the lead in half just a minute into the 2nd period when Spartan Chris Zhang while on a power play poked home a rebound to make the score 2-1.

Green countered the Spartan goal at the 5 minute mark. While on a 5-3, Trevian  Graham Soman extended the Green lead back to two when he blasted a shot from just outside the right faceoff circle that Cohen had no chance with.

Glenbrook North Chris Zhang scored a terrific individual goal when killing the back half of the 5-3 penalty he found a loose puck at red line and with a defenseman draped all over still found a way to beat Green goalie Jack Junge just 30 seconds after the Green’s goal.

Spartan Chad Yale would tie the game with  2 minutes remaining in the 2nd period when his shot from the right point found the back of the Green net.

The 3rd period was filled with up and down action and with the score tied at 3, Spartan Chris Merritt gave GBN their first and only lead of the game when he came in from the right side of the ice and his back hand shot flew over the shoulder of Junge with 4  minutes into the period.

Green’s Colin McBride tied the game at the 10 minute mark when he out battled a GBN defender in front of Cohen and lifted a back hand shot into the net.

With overtime looming Green’s Colin McBride attacked the middle of ice entered the Spartan zone where he was checked off the puck by a number of Spartans but the puck laid loose about 40 feet from the Spartan net where Matthew Kenyon picked it up at.  Kenyon took  a number of strides waited and roofed a shot that hit right under the cross bar and into the net for the winner with 18 seconds left to play.